Wednesday, September 30, 2009

First Snow of the Season.....

These shots were taken from our balcony....we are so lucky to have such great views of these majestic mountains....sometimes I tend to take them for granted....I am always in awe of them after I return home from a trip... I am reminded of how much I would miss them, if they were not here.





Well, the local weather stations said that we might have our first snow today...and they were right! We had a cold front move in yesterday with some high winds and the temperature dropped dramatically.....the skies darkened, and lo and behold....there came the snow! The mountains were shrouded in thick blankets of dark clouds, and when the clouds rose, they revealed the freshly fallen snow left behind....I took these photos late this afternoon, and much of the snow had melted...earlier the snow crept down the entire mountainside and into the valley....in fact I was out running a few errands and got caught in a fleeting snow and hail storm. This is just way too early for "winter"....we have only had a little over one week of autumn...I guess that the days to come will now be oficially "Indian Summer". Many people ask me what "Indian Summer" exactly means, since this has been our website name for the past fourteen years...one of the many descriptions of "Indian Summer" is as follows:
"A warm period of time following the first frost, after the leaves have started to change colors. A tranquil time to relax after a fall harvest. A serene time when the hard labors of summer have ended and the winter is not yet upon you. A peaceful time in one's life when they can relish in their past productivity"....
This past summer has certainly seen a lot of "productivity" with us and our investment house remodel, which we are finishing up this week...so maybe this first snow is a sign of tranquil times to come...I will choose to view it positively, as I cannot deny that today it was truthfully a beautiful sight to look up at our glorious mountains and see the mixture of autumn colors amidst the freshly fallen snow.