Thursday, June 3, 2010

A Day at the Beach.....


Philbert Beyuka's gorgeous mother of pearl Seahorse in a "coral" grotto is one of my favorite carvings.....

Kenny Chavez's gliding abalone shell shark with Eddington Hannaweeke's pretty angel skin coral mini shark.....

The late Cellester Laate's pink mussel shell Pelican...his beak can hold more than his belly can!

David Yazzie's mother of pearl Fish....

The late Cellester Laate's mother of pearl Stingray and Seahorse....

David Yazzie's argite Shark......

Stewart Lasiloo's sodalite Walrus heads to shore to join up with Gayla Eriacho's serpentine Walrus...

Gilbert Lonjose's Picasso marble Octopus....

Mama and baby turquoise seals by Michael Laweka, Abby Quam and Clayton Panteah's onyx seal, and Elroy Pablito's pipestone seal.....

I adore my Hudson Sandy marble otter holding onto the mother of pearl shell on his belly....along wiith the turquoise Yancy Halusewa cutie!

Calvert Bowannie and Russell Shack's marble Orcas....

David Yazzie's serpentine dolphin....

Gilbert Lonjose's alabaster crab....

Anyone who knows me, knows that I have a genuine love for the ocean...any ocean...any sea...any body of water, even our own Great Salt Lake here in Utah! There is just a certain mystique about the ocean or a large body of water. Nothing thrills me more than when I catch a glimpse of some sea critter out in the waves or see a little sand crab or starfish on the shore..and I love to explore the tidepools! When we stay at a hotel on the beach, I spend hours wading over the rocks and examining the plant life and sealife in the nooks and crannies of the rocks along the shore. A favorite place for me is Cambria, California....there, I get it all....seals lounging on the rocks, playful sea otters floating on their backs as they come in with each wave, and lots of tidepools with gorgeous plantlife gently swaying in the water when it is calm, and minute sea life to watch and ponder over...someday I would love to live on or near a beach...we can all dream, can't we! Last week our daughters were both in California....Phyllis and Ellie were in San Francisco catching a Melissa Etheridge concert, and Liz and Jake took Jake's son Corbin to Carlsbad and to Lego Land, and then spent some relaxing days in Laguna Beach. I LOVE both Laguna and San Francisco....you can tell that just by looking at my sidebars! Phyllis and Ellie saw all the seals down at Fisherman's Wharf at the famous Pier 39, and Liz, Jake, and Corbin went on a whale excursion that left from Dana Point, and were lucky enough to see a hump back whale! Since our next trip is to New Mexico and Arizona, I think I will be seeing more snakes and lizards than seahorses and seals, so I visited our fetish case and pulled out some of my own sea critters and recreated a day at the beach for me! Hope you enjoy it as well!